CONT CODE FACT SHEET
1. Code Name: CONT
2. Category: VIIa. Linear Stability: 2D Ideal
3. Responsible Physicist: M. S. Chance
4. Others involved in code development:
5. One line description: Calculates the continuous MHD spectrum in tokamaks.
6. Computer systems which code runs on: Cray
7. Typical running time: 1-10 minutes/case
8. Approximate number of code lines: 1650
9. Does this code read data files from another code? MAPDSK, MPOUT1.
10. Does this code produce data files that can be read by another code? No.
11. 1-2 paragraph description of code: Calculates the MHD continuous spectrum in tokamaks. Both the Alfven and sound continua are calculated using a Fourier integral method, or differentially using Floquet theory.
12. Similar codes to this code, and distinguishing differences:
13. Journal References describing code (up to 3): C. Z. Cheng, and M. S. Chance, Phys. Fluids 29 3695-3700 (1986).
14. New code capabilities planned for next 1-2 years:
15. Code users: PPPL, GA
16. Present and recent applications of code: Almost essential for calculating the TAE modes in DIII-D, TFTR, etc.
17. Status of code input/output documentation. Check one: (X) does not exist ( ) incomplete ( ) exists
18. Year Code was first used and present frequency of use: ~1980 Frequent use whenever TAE modes ae simulated.
19. Estimate of Man-Years invested in developing code: 0.5
20. Catagories of usage of Code (Check all that apply): (X) application code to do analysis and prediction of experiments (X) numerical testbed of theoretical ideas ( ) physics module to be used in integrated moddelling ( ) code for machine design
21. Language code is writen in: Fortran
22. Results of intercomparisons with other codes and results of validation against experiments. CONT compliments ideal MHD stability codes like PEST, NOVA and GATO and is consistent with them. It also correlates well with the TAE mode simulation of the experiments.