PEST-II CODE FACT SHEET
1. Code Name: PEST-II
2. Category: VIIIa. Linear Stability: 2D Ideal
3. Responsible Physicist: J. Manickam
4. Others involved in code development: M. S. Chance, R. L. Dewar, and R. C. Grimm.
5. One line description: Ideal MHD stability analysis of axisymmetric tokamak equilibria.
6. Computer systems which code runs on: NERSC - Crays, Workstations
7. Typical running time: 1-3 minutes
8. Approximate number of code lines: 20,000
9. Does this code read data files from another code? Uses equilibria generated by other codes.
10. Does this code produce data files that can be read by another code? Output files read by post processor.
11. 1-2 paragraph description of code: Linearized stability analysis code. Variational code which minimizes a scalar form of the Euler-Lagrange Eqns. obtained, using a model kinetic energy.
12. Similar codes to this code, and distinguishing differences: PEST I - has the full 3-vector component dW.
13. Journal Reference describing code: Grimm, R. C., Dewar, R. L., and Manickam, J., in J. of Comp. Physics 49 (1983) 94.
14. New code capabilities planned for next 1-2 years: Conversion to NETCDF for universal portability. Integration into SeSC
15. Code users: PPPL, MIT, Columbia, ORNL, LASL, LLNL, Hydro Quebec, U. Washington.
16. Present and recent applications of code: Analysis of TFTR and DIII-D. Design studies for NSTX and ITER .
17. Status of code input/output documentation. Check one: ( ) does not exist (X) incomplete ( ) exists
18 Year Code was first used and present frequency of use: 1981 - daily
19. Estimate of Man-Years invested in developing code: 2
20. Catagories of usage of Code (Check all that apply): (x ) application code to do analysis and prediction of experiments (x ) numerical testbed of theoretical ideas (x ) physics module to be used in integrated moddelling (x ) code for machine design
21. Language code is writen in: FORTRAN
22. Results of intercomparisons with other codes and results of validation against experiments. Extensively documented.