FPMG CODE FACT SHEET
1. Code Name: FPMG
2. Category: Fokker-Planck modelling
3. Responsible Scientist: Bas Braams
4. Others involved in code development: Charles Karney (PPPL)
5. One line description: Solves the two-dimensional velocity-space Fokker-Planck equation.
6. Computer systems which code runs on: Cray, Unix workstations
7. Typical running time (if applicable): A few seconds per calculation.
8. Approximate number of code lines: 5000
9. Does this code read data files from another code? No.
10. Does this code produce data files that can be read by another code? No.
11. 1-2 paragraph description of code: The code uses the multigrid method to solve the Fokker-Planck equation for one species in two-dimensional velocity-space, including the effect of an external electric field and a model quasilinear diffusion operator.
12. Similar codes to this code, and distinguishing differences:
13. Journal References describing code (up to 3): B. J. Braams and C. F. F. Karney: "Multigrid solution of the Fokker-Planck equation". Proceedings of the 12th Conference on Numerical Simulation of Plasma, San Fransisco, September 20--23, 1987.
14. New code capabilities planned for next 1-2 years: None.
15. Code users: None.
16. Present and recent applications of code: None.
17. Status of code input/output documentation. Does not exist. Contact the author.
18 Year Code was first used and present frequency of use: 1987-1989. Not presently in use.
19. Estimate of Man-Years invested in developing code: One man-year.
20. Catagories of usage of Code (Check all that apply):
(x) application code to do analysis and prediction of experiments
(x) numerical testbed of theoretical ideas
(x) physics module to be used in integrated modelling
( ) code for machine design
21. Language code is writen in: Fortran-77.
22. Results of intercomparisons with other codes and results of validation against experiments. None.